William Henry "Bill" Milburn

Photo courtesy of the Joshua Brackett Eagle Scout Project
Photo courtesy of the Joshua Brackett Eagle Scout Project

(June 23, 1876 - July 28, 1953)


Johnny & Margaret Thon Files
July 30, 1953


Bill Milburn Dies In Crawford Tues.

Thon Book No. 3

William H. Milburn, age 77 and a long time resident of Lusk, died at the Community Memorial Hospital in Crawford, Nebr., Tuesday morning after a lingering illness.

Mr. Milburn came to Lusk many years ago and engaged in various businesses in town and also farmed south of Lusk for a number of years. His last business in Lusk was the erecting of the Lusk Cabin Camp which he operated for some time, then sold it and shortly afterwards he and his wife move to Crawford where they have since resided.

Funeral services will be held in Lusk Thursday at 2:00 p.m. at the Peet Chapel with Rev. Gray, pastor of the Church of the Nazarene of Crawford, officiating.

Besides his wife, those surviving Mr. Milburn are several sons and daughters.



Thon Files, Book 3
August 6, 1953
Final Rites Held For W. H. Milburn


The last rites for the late William H. Milburn were conducted from the Peet Chapel on Thursday afternoon, July 30 at two o’clock, with the Rev. T. B. Gray, pastor of the Church of the Nazarene, of Crawford, Nebr. assisted by the Rev. 0. F. Shroyer, pastor of the Church of God of Lusk, officiating at the service.

Music for the service was furnished by the Rev., and Mrs. Gray and their two sons who sang “No Disappointment in Heaven” and “Jesus Lover of My Soul’ accompanied by Mrs. J. P. Watson.

Interment was made in the Lusk cemetery with the bearers being Frank Eurner and Harry Renswold of Crawford, Ira Lamb, Dave Wood, George Gibson and Arthur Keller all of Lusk.

William Henry Milburn was born June 23, 1876 on a farm in Iowa, the son of pioneer parents. In 1880 the family moved to the Dakota Territory where they engaged in farming and experienced many hardships and sometimes trouble with the Indians. On William’s 21st birthday his father gave him a team of horses, so in company with a brother, they came to the Black Hills in a covered wagon and spent several summers there, returning to the home of their parents for the winter months.

On May 9, 1900 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Ann Roberts, a native of Cornwall, England and the following year he and his wife moved to Lusk where he engaged in the plumbing business with a brother. Later he went into the restaurant and bakery business and then owned and operated a mercantile business for about 10 years. After selling the store he moved onto a homestead south of Lusk, where his wife died following the birth of a baby on Jan. 31, 1915. Following his wife's death he moved his family back into Lusk and again entered the bakery and restaurant business in the building now occupied by the Quality Shop. After about a year he sold the business but retained the property.

He spent the next few years in California and then again returned to Lusk where be engaged in the grocery business.

In 1927 he was married to Mrs. Dorothy McGill and it was shortly after their marriage that they started the Lusk Cabin Camp which they operated until a few years before moving to Crawford, Nebr.

After selling the Cabin Camp Mr. Milburn worked for some time in the Midwest Hardware.

He had been in failing health for a number of years and died at the Community Memorial Hospital at Crawford, July 28.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy and six children, all of whom were born in Lusk. They are his four daughters, Mrs. Myrtle Cantarini of National City, Calif., Mrs. Mabel Viola Scales and Mrs. Eldora Friedeman of Sacramento, Calif., Mrs. Florence Marie Munson; and two sons, Henry of Aurora, Oregon and Leonard of Rushville, Nebr. One daughter, Mrs. Clara Mae Amos preceded her father in death, dying Sept. 3, 1938.

Harry Milburn and Mrs. Cantarini have been with their father for some time. With the exception of Leonard none of the other children were able to be here for the services. A brother-in-law, Charles Roberts of Tremonton, Utah was among those attending.








| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |


Genealogy Search

Type your search terms into the box below and his 'Search!' to begin searching the genealogy archives.




The Niobrara County Library Foundation, Inc. accepts online donations. Click to contribute via PayPal or credit/debit card.


Peruse our extensive genealogical archives, with entries sorted alphabetical by first and last name.
We are currently adding birth record information to the website, with entries sorted alphabetical by first and last name.
This resource provides an alphabetical listing of names, broken down by cemetery, of those buried in area cemeteries. This resource can assist you in locating the exact location of these grave sites.
Genealogy Links

Debbie Sturman, Director
425 South Main Street, P O Box 510
Lusk, WY 82225-0510
Phone: 307-334-3490
© 2014, Niobrara County Library