Hotels: California Bungalow Hotel
Big Hotel On North Side
Lusk Standard, April 4, 1919
The Lusk Development and Improvement Company will soon start on the construction of the new California Bungalow hotel, which will be erected in the Tom Bell addition to Lusk, which lies north of the railroad tracks. The new hotel will be on the north bank of Running Water, facing Main Street on the west.
In some ways the new hotel will be very unique in design. It will have a 100-foot front with a porch ten feet in depth, running the entire length of the front. The structure will be 200 feet deep and will contain, when completed, 65 rooms, about 10 x 12 feet, also provided with a large wash room, containing lavatories and showers.
A large comfortable office and lounging room will greet the guests, and adjacent thereto will be a three-chair barber shop with the latest style furnishings obtainable. At the right of the lobby is a large entrance leading into the spacious dining room, 36 x 30 feet. The kitchen will be large and built conveniently, with ample store room and provisions closets. The building is to be of frame construction and is built around a large and deep light court, so that all rooms will be outside ones. The interior finish will be of yellow pine and slash grained fir. The furniture and decorations will all be along modern lines. The entire structure is being erected at a cost of approximately $50,000 and is to be completed within 60 days.
BUNGALOW HOTEL WILL OPEN SOON
The Lusk Standard, July 18, 1919
The Bungalow Hotel on the North Side has been for the past week installing its furniture preparatory to opening, and Mr. C.R. Evans, manager, informs the Standard man that he expects to be in readiness for the first guests to register about August 1st.
The new hostelry is up-to-date in every way in its construction and arrangement. There is a spacious rotunda, with still more commodious ladies' waiting room, 75 sleeping apartments, a number of which are supplied with baths attached to the sleeping apartments, there will be a large bath for the general public, with extensive shower arrangements. Mr. Evans says they expect to pay especial attention to this much needed luxury for the public. the arrangement of the floor plan of the new hotel is such that every sleeping apartment in the building is an outside room, and each room is supplied with hot and cold running water. the electric lighting throughout the building is complete, and the latest in improvements for kitchen and dining room are now being placed in readiness for use.
"The dining room," said Mr. Evans, "will be run on what is known as the modern American plan. And without placing any frills on the plan, it simply means a good old-fashioned home table . A plenty to eat, of the best quality, and satisfied guests will be the main endeavor of the management. We will have the rooms ready to open. I think it will probably be the first of September before we can get ready for this portion of the hotel. The establishment will be run with a special idea to the accommodation of home people. Of course some transient will come this way, but we expect to make the place home-like and something on the order of a club, where parties of home people may invite their friends, where directors' meeting will be held, and where a guest of the house will be able to invite a party of friends to a home place. The building of such a hotel in Lusk is an expensive undertaking, but we expect o make rates as low as possible in consideration of the cost of construction and operation."
The Lusk Development and Improvement Co., with a capital stock of $300,000, own the property. Tom Bell., one of the best-known of Lusk old-timers, is president of this company, and A.E. De Ricqules, chairman of the board of directors, has been for many years interested in and around Lusk, and has a wide acquaintance in and around Lusk, and has a wide acquaintance throughout many parts of Wyoming. The other stockholders in the company are for the most part capitalists of Denver.
The opening of the bungalow Hotel will be a boon to many new-comers in Lusk, who seek a quiet place in which to spend their leisure time, and to many who are already here.
NEW MANAGEMENT FOR THE BUNGALOW HOTEL; MISS PEARMAN IN CHARGE
The Lusk Standard, June 10, 1921
Advertising in other columns of this paper announce the news that Miss Margaret V. Pearman, now managing the Whittier Rooms for the Lusk Development Company, will become manager of the Bungalow Hotel in a very few days. In this capacity it will be very generally recognized that the Bungalow owners are fortunate in securing the services of Miss Pearman, who came here nearly four years ago and took charge of the business end of the new Henry Hotel, and will be remembered by many hotel patrons here during the rush of the oil boom for her efficient services and courtesies during those crowded times when the few hotels were filled to capacity; and for the incoming travelers in great number unable to secure hotel accommodations, Miss Pearman's untiring efforts to find lodging in the various private homes in Lusk, bespeak for her a wide acquaintance and a return of loyal support and patronage in her new undertaking.
When Mrs. Henry sold her hotel in May, 1919, Miss Pearman took charge of the Whittier Rooms for The Lusk Development and Improvement Company and in recognition of her worthy record there in maintaining a business of quality. Miss Pearman now steps into the management of the Bungalow Hotel, and we predict a splendid success in this direction.
The Bungalow Hotel is the newest and most complete idea in this region and offers to the traveling public as well as to resident guests, every comfort and convenience and furnishes the best in clean cheerful rooms at reasonable rates.
Though Miss Pearman will move into the Bungalow in a few days to assume her new duties, she will continue in the control and management of the Whittier Rooms.
Mrs. Wagner, who has had charge of the Bungalow Hotel for many months, and who has become will acquainted and well liked in Lusk, will remain at the Bungalow Hotel in charge of the propertied and other affairs of the Lusk Development and Improvement Co.
BUNGALOW HOTEL EXTENDS HOSPITALITY
The Lusk Standard, June 24, 1921
Since the middle of June when the Whittier was leased to local doctors for hospital purposes, and Miss Margaret Pearman became manager of the beautiful Bungalow Hotel, work has been active in the refurbishing of many of the bungalow rooms, the connecting suites being equipped with fine brass beds and other furnishings from the Whittier, and rearrangements made so that greater comfort and harmony obtains in all the rooms and parlors, and just as quickly as decorative work can be added, the Bungalow will become one of the most beautiful hotels in the west.
One day this week a number of Denver men, representing the Lusk Development and Improvement Company, owners of the Bungalow, were in the city, and with Miss Pearman as manager, outlined a plan for extending to the public the many privileges to be enjoyed at the Bungalow. The beautiful parlors and large dining room, together with the splendid services of Rudolph Herman, well-known caterer, who has been with the Bungalow since it opened two years ago, all afford splendid opportunity for the furnishing of banquets, dinner parties, luncheons, etc. Though the dining room is not open for regular meals this summer, any such party or banquet man be arranged for at the Bungalow at any time at a reasonable figure, and the use of the beautiful parlors and dining room is extended free to the public for social affairs and entertainment. It is also partially arranged for regular dancing parties to use the splendid floor of the large dining room, a delightfully cool and pleasant ball room arrangement.
The Bungalow caters to Club and Lodge parties and those taking advantage of their hospitality will be pleased with the courtesies extended.
TORRINGTON GETS BUNGALOW HOTEL
The Lusk Herald, May 31, 1928
The Bungalow Hotel, which has been idle since the boom days, will soon be a thing of the past.
A deal was closed last week whereby Foster Jackson became the owner. The building was then sold to a corporation formed by Torrington men. It will be cut up in sections by Mr. Jackson and moved on trucks to Torrington, where it will be reassembled and made into an apartment house, consisting of thirty-two 3-room modern apartments. The work of moving will start in about two weeks.