Business Details

Lusk Light and Power Plant

The Lusk Standard, July 18, 1919

City Outgrows Power Plant

The Standard Man stepped into the power plant Monday morning, and under the management of Engineer Frank Ryckman found that portion of the municipal government's machinery moving smoothy. Mr. Ryckman
was asked how much larger the town could grow before it would be necessary to increase the capacity of the plant.
"I can answer  that mighty quick," said the engineer, "The plant isn't half big enough right this minute, Oh, yes, the city government  knows it. and they're not by any means asleep. They have already ordered the machinery for a much larger plant. When it arrives we will have an 800 c.w. generator, or two units---one a 500 and the other of 300 c.w.., with a 200 horsepower boiler as the base of the operations. This will handle our lights etc., for a while, but the way the town is growing machinery of double this capacity will have to be installed before many months roll around. yes, the city authorities are doing all they can for the people. There has been so much to do to take care of the gteat influx of new people into Lusk that it has been almost impossible to keep the supply up to the demand, Besides the lighting and other power supplied to the citizens, just know the administration is doing all it can to supply the people of the lower part of town with water. You've probably noticed the pipe already stretched down into the southern addition. "

Mr. Ryckman's engine room was in ship-shape, and from every appearance a much larger set of machinery would be in competent hands under his supervision.

*********************************************

The Lusk Standard, May 28, 1920
New Light Plant

Chas. Williams began the erection this week of a new light plant building 24x50 feet with cement foundation and floor. He purchased on May 1 a new and much larger plant than the one now in use here which cost $4,000.00 in Denver and will be laid down here in 90 days. The old light plant house which still belongs to the city will be used for hook and ladder and other fire apparatus. Now the owners of houses who have not done so should have their buildings wired and patroniz {sic} a home industry, besides electric lights and appliances like the one we saw turning a clothes wringer a Mr. Calhoun's this week, are a great saving in labor to the busy housewife. (Van Tassell Booster)
**************************************
The Lusk Standard, June 11, 1920

Lusk's Light and Power Plant Will be Finished soon

The new Lusk Light  and Power building on Main street which has been under construction since September 1919, will be completed and ready for use the first of the month, it was announced today by L.S. Berry, superintendent.

The new structure, which is completely equipped with the latest and most efficient machinery, satisfies a long felt need in the city, in view of the inadequacy of the old lighting system.

The plant, which will be able to supply sufficient light and power for a city of 15,000 population, according to Mr. Berry's estimation.

A brand new steam fire whistle, to be operated in connection with the plant, will make its debut on July 4, and add to the general holiday festivities. It is one of the largest of its kind in the state and can be heard at a distance of 20 miles on a clear day.

Towering over the city 125 feet high will be a huge smokestack, the construction of which will begin next week.

A battery of two Casey-Hedges water tube boilers with 500 water horsepower has been installed to supply steam for operating two new Westinghouse turbo-generators which will supply the electricity. These generators produce 300 and 500 kilowatts respectively.

The electricity from the generators will be controlled by a seven panel Westinghouse switchboard. There will be five lighting and power circuits instead of one at the present time.

The condensing equipment in which the exhausted steam is condensed back into water to be re-fed into the boilers, is the last word as an expense saver. it consists of two Westinghouse Leblanc surface condensers. These are connected with a 100 foot square square spray pond situated in the rear of the building. In the pond are 40 spray fountains for cooling the condensing water for the condensers. the exhausted steam is lowered only 40 degrees before it is condensed into water. Without this, new water would have to be heated from 60 degrees to 249 degrees Fahrenheit.

In connection with the city water supply, two new rotary centrifugal pumps have been placed. One is used on the old well in the power house and the other on the new well on the Niobrara river which is being tested at the present time. These two pumps, Mr. Berry stated, will supply the city with the best water for drinking and domestic purposes in the state according to an analysis  made by the state chemistry department.

Oil instead of coal will be used for fuel. These boilers, however, are constructed in such a manner that coal firing may be used in case of an emergency. fuel oil, it has been found, is much cheaper than coal in freight handling and firing. Two new old storage tanks with a capacity of 10,000 barrel each have been mounted outside which added to the old tank provides a total capacity of 29,000 barrels.

Oil pressure spray equipment has been placed for firing the boilers. 


Images & Attachments

There are no attachments for this record.

Related/Linked Records

Record Type Name
Obituary Burke, Dell (07/05/1888 - 11/04/1980) View Record