Uranium Mine Building is Now Being Wrecked
Lawrence Johnson Tearing Down Big Extraction Plant Here
The building on the uranium mine hill, which was used during the busy days of the boom for the extraction of radium from the carnotite ore mined on this location is being torn down by Lawrence Johnson of Lusk.
Approximately 30,000 feet of lumber is contained in this structure, and will be taken to his ranch, about four miles south of Lusk, where he will construct a large barn for his race horses.
The extraction plant was built several years ago and the ore, which was mined on the once-famous site was prepared for shipment there. The radium content was claimed to be large and was used by scientists in promoting a cure for cancer. The proposition was financed by the Lorimer Minerals Company, of which E. D. Lorimer was president.
When the company was formed, about $30,000 worth of stock was sold--a large portion of it to residents of Lusk and vicinity. Mr. Johnson was one of the heaviest stockholders and since then has acquired the majority of interest in the project. Little or no work has been done at the mine in the past five years.
Contract for demolition of the plant was awarded to L. J. Lohlein of this city.
Images & Attachments
|Obituary||Johnson, Lawrence (09/27/1873 - 11/29/1957)||View Record||Obituary||Lohlein, Leonard (11/30/-0001 - 12/17/1935)||View Record|