Kint, Epra Otis
MR. AND MRS. EPRA OTIS KINT
by Mrs. Ted Jones
Epra Otis Kint was born in Oelwein, Ia., Dec. 15, 1879, one of the seven children of Mr. and Mrs. George Kint. In 1892 Epra went to Nebraska to visit an uncle, Milburn D. Sparks, and made it his permanent home.
On Dec. 23, 1896, Epra married Augusta (Gussie) Hering, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Hering of Hering's Mill, situated just north of what is now the town of Royal. The bride's wedding gown was fashioned by her own hands from silver gray sicilian, trimmed with white watered silk and white silk lace. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Wm. H. Nichel, in a setting of Christ mas decorations.
Mrs. Kint was born in La Platte, Nebr. Mar. 2, 1876 and the family remained in that community until she was four years old, when they moved to Antelope County and to the Verdigris, four and a half miles north of Royal. Mrs. Kint's reminiscences tell of early day experiences with the Indians, prairie fires, floods and blizzards and of the happy times which included dances, picnics, school exhibitions, spelldowns and literaries. She was one of Antelope's most popular teachers.
Following their marriage, the Kints remained in the same community, where they farmed. Later they moved to the town of Royal. In 1909 they adopted a daughter, Bernice, on whom they lavished great affection. She is now Mrs. Roger Cowell, and is the mother of three daughters. The Cowell family are now living in Loveland, Colo.
It was Mrs. Cowell who planned and arranged for the celebration of the Kint's 50th wed ding anniversary in 1946, at their ranch home in Wyoming.
About 1911, the Kint family moved to the Royal Valley community in Niobrara County, where Mr. Kint had taken up a homestead at the south end of the valley. They transported their belongings, which included household goods and their first car, an International "high wheeler “ with hard rubber tires, by railroad.
The family attended church and Sunday school in the Royal Valley schoolhouse, with Rev. Jacobs as pastor. They farmed and milked a number of cows. Every Friday they churned and molded butter, which was sold to regular customers on the following day.
In 1922 the Kints moved to a fruit farm near Grand Junction, Colo. and later that same year moved to Oelwein, where they lived until 1927 when they returned to Wyoming and the homestead, where they continued to live for many years.
Throughout the years, wherever the Kints lived, they were held in high esteem and their home always extended warm hospitality to their many friends.
Mrs. Kint passed away at the ranch home in November, 1953. Mr. Kint continued to live in his old home until 1958, when he moved into the town of Lusk. He engaged in painting for a number of years and also had an extensive garden, besides helping his son-in-law on the farm. Mr. Kint resided in Lusk until his death in May, 1959. Both he and his wife were interred in the local cemetery.
Images & Attachments
|Obituary||Kint, Epra (10/15/1874 - 05/26/1959)||View Record||Obituary||Kint, Augusta (03/02/1876 - 11/16/1953)||View Record|