First Burial in Lusk Cemetery May 1887
John Haney (Haley?) started the Lusk cemetery by his burial there on May 17, 1887. Haley was an employee of the Union Cattle Co., and was fingering his six-shooter when he accidentally shot himself. The Lusk Herald commented on the new grounds, the lay of the land being such that a beautiful "City of the Dead" can be made there.
A new cemetery has been selected with excellent judgment a little west of town on the side of a hill. Last Sunday, the body of John Haney, who accidentally shot himself was buried there and the remains of Charles S. Gunn was moved there.