Historical Details

Quilt Squares - Lusk Free Lance

Courtesy of Library Archives, 01/09/2024

Lusk Free Lance was recreated as a quilt square by The Bag Ladies for their Historic Quilt in 2001.

This front was from the oldest building in Lusk, owned by Ellis Johnson, and was originally in the town site of Silver Cliff. It was known as the Big Ironclad. The log part of this building  was from the Rawhide Butte Stage Station. In the early '20's James E. Mayes bought the Van Tassell Booster paper. He moved the equipment to Lusk, renaming the paper The Lusk Free Lance. Arthur F. Vogel bought the paper from Mayes in 1930. He had the belief that the town needed two papers . His wife and 5 children learned the newspaper trade by helping to publish the paper. Vogel was editor and publisher of the Free Lance until his death in 1956. After the paper was sold to the Herald, the building stood empty for a few years before becoming the thrift shop for the Episcopal Church. The front of the building was moved in 1970 to the Stagecoach Museum.

Images & Attachments



Related/Linked Records

Record Type Name
Historical Free Lance began in Van Tassell View Record