Historical Details

Manville, Jireh & Keeline, Day in the Life - Manville with Richard Ladwig

Courtesy of Family Sources, 08/12/2026

A Day in the Life, Manville was celebrated on Saturday, July 4, 2026 as part of the America 250 / Explore Niobrara events celebrating America's 250th Birthday.

Click here for Richard Ladwig's History of Manville

History of Manville

By Helen Viers

Early Days

Hearing of the almost unlimited opportunities offered in the vast Western territories, H.S. Manville and James Peck, both of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, migrated to the Laramie plains in the territory of Wyoming, in the year 1879, and became partners in a cattle ranch seven miles west of the Old Hat Creek stage station. In 1880 the Converse Cattle Company was organized. Manville was named manager and he hired Addison A. Spaugh as ranch foreman. The Manville-Peck operation was absorbed in the new company.

As the West developed, the Freemont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad (owned by the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad), extended their lines into Wyoming and the branch became known as the Wyoming Central Railroad.

With the coming of the railroad in 1886, a new settlement was born on the Laramie plains. It was suggested that AD. Spaugh name the new town and he requested that it be called “Manville” for his business associate and friend H. S. Manville.

Oscar Seldon, proprietor of the Townsite of Manville, filed the original plat October, 1886. He had the land surveyed and platted by Henry Chase. The survey began in July and was completed in October, and Seldon purchased said lands. He subdivided the site into lots, streets and alleys, and offered the lots for sale.

Manville with an elevation of 5,245 feet was first a part of Laramie County. In 1888 the county was divided and the town was in Converse County. According to the Commissioner’s records, meetings were held in Neadard’s store in Manville to decide the location of the County seat, attending were Eugene B. Willson, A.B. B. Allen and A.A. Spaugh. On May 18, Douglas received the largest number of votes and was declared the County seat of Converse County. Malcom Campbell was named sheriff, Cornelius Lusk was named County Superintendent of Schools, Harry Rossman was Justice of the Peace in Manville precinct and C. F Williams was constable for the town. Wyoming was granted statehood in 1890. Finally in 1913, the County was again divided and Manville became part of Niobrara County with the County seat at Lusk.

The first shipments of cattle were made by rail from the new town in 1886, by the O.W. Spread (owned by Spaugh), the 77 Ranch and the Lance Creek Ranch.

With one exception all the original homes and buildings in Manville were of rock and some of these landmarks are still standing.

Addison Spaugh, one of the most influential business men in the community, came to the territory when he was seventeen years old and he remained in the state for the rest of his life. He built a fine home in Manville for his family. Spaugh was energetic and progressive and assisted in many ways in the development of the town. When he passed away in 1943, he was laid to rest in the Manville cemetery, still a part of the community in which he was so vitally interested.

Hiram S. Manville was also influential in the early development of the community. However, he left Wyoming in 1887, and became associated with John B. Kendrick in a ranching operation northeast of the present site of the town of Sheridan.

Manville passed away at Oakdale, Nebraska on December 14, 1911.

Before the coming of the railroad, mail was brought into the territory form Cheyenne by stage. Manville was allotted its first post office in 1887 and John A. Shaeffer was appointed postmaster. He served until 1889 and was succeeded by Thomas G. Wilson. W. A. Orme was also an early day postmaster. Mail was distributed form a combination post office and grocery store in the Grout Building.

Workmen for the new railroad were soon brought into Manville. They lived in Wilson’s section house and were fed in a nearby “boarding car”, the hearty meals being served by Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Dryer. Among the first section hands were the following names: Bryson (who was section foreman), Meavis, Jackson, Phil Smith, George Huffman and Frank Brooks.

Early day businesses included a livery stable, just south of town, run by Billy Seward. Wm. Larson and Wm. Pinkerton ranched and ran horses just out of the city limits. In 1891 Pinkerton bought the first self-binder and cut over a hundred acres of grass in the vicinity.

Coal was discovered near Manville in 1886. The Manville Roller Mill started business in 1889 and a creamery was located north of the railroad.

J. A. Manorgan arrived in 1892 and homesteaded nearby. A part of his land became the Manville cemetery. Manorgan trimmed and built his own log cabin about a mile and a half south of town. His patent was signed by president Wm. McKinley. He married Miss Lizzie Kern (a sister of Mrs. Spaugh) and moved with his family to a building on Main Street, where he ran a dry goods and grocery store-The Manville Mercantile Company. His store was later razed by a disastrous fire.

M. Charles Meader started the first sawmill, north of Jesse Baughn’s and west of town. A Mrs. Nitser opened the first bakery and another general store was opened in the Talcott building, owned by a Mr. Brown.

The C. E. Shippens were also early day store owners, but later sold out to a man named Sims.

In 1894 H. Higby built a cheese factory between Manville and Lance Creek. Wm. Magoon purchased the factory and also was well known for the flavorful sausage he prepared. The factory building is still standing and may be seen on highway #1401.

The “Beehive” was the first saloon in Manville and was located in what had formerly been a barn. The Beehive rooming house stood nearby, operated by a man named Gregory. The building was torn down in 1927.

In the early days the Hitshew brothers opened a blacksmith shop, as did Andy Cline. The Hitshew shop was completely destroyed by fire in 1898. Robert Cosby was also a Manville blacksmith about this time.

In the late eighteen hundreds a tornado ripped thru Manville, wreaking havoc with many of the buildings. Shaeffer’s hall and opera house was completely destroyed and the U. S. post office and Manorgan & Company’s general store were badly damaged. In 1893 H. D. Howard was employed as a clerk by the Manorgan interests. In 1899 he opened Manville’s first jewelry and watch repair shop. A few years later he left the community, but returned in 1918 and ran a jewelry shop for many years.

Early day residents of Manville, or those who lived on nearby ranches included many well-remembered names.

H.B. Card and his wife Edith arrived in 1885. He ranched and later moved to town. His home in the south part of town is still standing.

The Orville Dryers came to the vicinity as ranchers in 1887. They moved to Manville and lived in a log home, which later became part of the Foster Lumber Company.

The Burkett family came from Illinois in the spring of 1888. They made the trip by freight and passenger trains.

Two brothers Gaylord and Newt Allen lived in a house located where the Schuett home now stands.

E. B. Baughn and family became Manville residents in 1892. He and Fred Howard built what is now known as the “haunted house”, bringing lumber from Montana for the construction.

Also arriving in 1892 were Mrs. A.D Polstick and family, Neil Hart and H.J. Baughn and wife Mary.

The Wm. McReynolds family lived south of town, where the slaughter house was later located. The spot is now marked by a single large tree. They were soon joined by Joe McReynolds.

Other early day pioneers included John Foster (who homesteaded what is now the Lamb ranch); Ole Sanberg (Chris Larson ranch); Carl and Jessie Baughn (Homesteaded west of Manville); Charley Burkett (Homesteaded northwest of town); Rube Lucas (77 Ranch); Roy and Suzie Baughn; Kit Murray; Burr Shippens; Foster Rogers and Bartlett Richards (owner of the 77 Ranch). The names of Willhite (the horse ranch), Talcott, Mapes and Bringham should not be omitted from this early day roster, and there undoubtedly are others whose names have been inadvertently omitted.

Oscar Selden, owner of the original townsite of Manville, built the first frame house. He also had the dubious distinction of being the first person murdered there. Selden and Shaeffer were partners in selling real estate sites. (It is reported that Selden would give a lot to anyone who would promise to erect a building on it). The night of the murder was very dark. Selden was sitting at the table near a window eating the evening meal with his family. A shot rang out and Selden died instantly. The case was never solved, although suspicion rested on one of his associates. The peak southwest of Manville was named for Selden.

The first church service held in Manville was at the home of Mrs. W. R. (Libbey) Dryer. In 1894 a log church was built and the pulpit for some was made by Charles Server. Services were conducted by a Methodist minister. In 1898 a new Congregational church was dedicated. Rev. Jenkins was one of the first ministers.

Children of Manville and vicinity attended their first school in a log building near the Howard home. Their teacher was Miss Mary Jones, who later married Walter Brooks.

Another school was held in a rock building in the northwest part of town on the Schuricht’s place. When this building burned, school was held in the log church building near Jessie Baughn’s, west of town.

A school east of Dave Bryant’s was conducted in a dugout. The only light filtered thru a window in the doorway. Pupils in this school were Orville Dryer, Foss and Jessie Wilson (children of Ronnie Wilson), Bill Bennett and Della Burkett.

Early day teachers included Miss Elda Orme (town school, 1891), Henry Connors (North school), Hattie Amspoker (Westside, 1891), and Miss Hobbs (southside school).

In the absence of a licensed physician, early day doctoring and dentistry in the community were done by Wm. McReynolds and Mrs. Jack (Julia) Bowen, although neither claimed to be qualified as a professional.

The first funeral in Manville was for Amos Spaugh, brother of Addison Spaugh. He was interred west of the Gene Willson ranch and later moved to the town cemetery.

Their being no approved cemetery site, the earliest burials were made in different spots. Benjamin Baughn (father of E. S. Baughn) and Miss Viola Thayer were laid to rest in south Manville on the Anne Humphrey lot. Later both bodies were moved to the present cemetery, ground for some having been donated by Manorgan.

The body of George Lathrop was moved from the Manville cemetery in 1930 and placed at the memorial site on Highway #20.

Early day volunteer firemen were summoned by the tolling of a bell hung on main street. A hand-drawn cart carried limited equipment and although there were several disastrous fires, the courageous fire fighters did their best to control the blazes.

A watering trough was also placed on Main Street to assist in the comfort of thirsty animals on their trips thru town.

All was not work for the pioneers. Square dancing was popular. Bob Cosby (father of John) played the fiddle for the lively affairs. Having no instrument of his own, he borrowed one form Orval Dryer, who still had the fiddle and considers it one of his most treasured possessions.

Feeling the need for music in the settlement, the Shippen families, consisting of two brothers and their ten children, organized a band. A wagon was fitted with seats and the family practiced as they rode along. Some of the younger children had never heard instrumental music and the little band brought excitement and delight wherever they appeared.

There were spell-downs and quilting bees and the box suppers were always very competitive.

In 1891 the Converse County Fair was held in Manville. Spaugh made all the arrangements and accommodations for the patrons were free of charge. Liberal premiums were offered for all exhibits, which were numerous and diverse.

There were races of all kinds, including a wolf and dog race, which ended disastrously for the dogs.

Another Fair was held in 1898, and this year there was also a spectacular Fourth of July celebration. Fireworks, costing more than fifty dollars were set off to the delight of the audience.

Indians were frequent visitors during these early days. They camped in back of Howard’s store, at Soldier’s Peak and west of town. Tent rings are still visible at these sites and many arrowheads have been found there. Sioux Indians came form Pine Ridge, South Dakota, and the Utes from further west.

In 1890 it was rumored that there would be an Indian uprising at Manville, and the women and children were hurriedly bedded down in the Talcott Building. However, no Indians appeared and the scare was short-lived.

Images & Attachments

There are no attachments for this record.

Related/Linked Records

Record Type Name
Historical Photos: Keeline, Wyoming History View Record
Historical Photos: Jireh, Wyoming History View Record