Manville, Jireh & Keeline, A Day in the Life - Keeline with Karen Gaukel
A Day in the Life, Manville, Jireh & Keeline was held on Saturday, July 4 as part of the America 250/Explore Niobrara events celebrating America's 250th Birthday.
Click here for Karen Gaukel's video presentation.
Town of Keeline, Wyoming
In 1886 the Chicago North West Railroad came thru the area and the Keeline Brothers ranch began to use the Keeline area as their cattle shipping point. In 1892, the Blaine brothers had a fenced pasture and a chute to load sheep on the train. Shearing pens were set up and flocks were brought in to be shorn and the wool shipped. At one time, more cream, hogs, and grain were shipped from Keeline than any place between Douglas and Chadron.
In 1902 Addison Spaugh purchased the Blaine Sheep Co.
In 1910, the influx of farmers and homesteaders began in the area. There was an abundance of cream accumulated from the homesteaders so the Keeline Siding was established so the train would stop and pick up cream and take it to the Blue Valley Creamery in Hasting, Nebraska.
On November 7, 1908, a post office was established in Keeline and ran until 1995.
In 1912, there was a store known as the Applegate Store, two small houses, and a one room school house. There was a box car for the depot of which was written "Visitors to the town must have been under awed by the magnificence of the railway station as to which every expense was spared."
On October 8, 1913, Mary Spaugh donated 80 acres to public use. Addison Spaugh hired a man by the name of Abbott to come and promote the new town of Keeline. A two-day celebration was planned and the area families looked forward to the excitement. The day arrived with a strong wind which sent sand high into the air and sifted onto small drifts. The anticipated balloon ascension could not be held because of the strength of the wind. Besides, the gentleman owner was to inebriated to carry it out even if the wind had ceased to blow. He had several young boys which had volunteered to help fill the balloon. They were quite disappointed.
Hamburger Bill's Hamburgers were a great delight to many. Some families had picnics even though the wind was blowing, and a band came from Fort Robinson, adding their happy tunes to the special event. A special train was sent from Omaha, NE, all to celebrate the founding of Keeline as a town.
On June 24, 1914, lots were sold for the town. Between 40-50 lots were sold the second day.
The town was laid out with four, east-west streets and eight, north-south avenues. The original Highway 20 ran through 1st Street.
Eight avenues ran north and south divided by Main Street, which is and was a main traveled road running through town. It’s still the county road running north and south. The avenues starting on the west side of town where Valley Avenue, Prairie Avenue, Mountain Avenue, Hill Avenue, Pine Cedar Avenue, Willow Avenue, and Cherry Avenue. All Avenues ended at 1st Street. Hill Park laid north of the Highway and west of Main Street. Railroad Park laid north and east of Main Street. Both of these business districts remains were moved and completely obliterated when the highway was widened and straightened in the 1950s.
At one time, the town of Keeline had a population of 440. Businesses in Keeline included a bank, hotel, restaurant, post office, gristmill, creamery, pool hall, grain elevator, potato seller, baseball field, dance hall, lumberyard, garage, Chevrolet dealer, hardware store, newspaper, barbershop, general store, the Keeline Telephone Company, drugstore, doctor, livery barn, dray service, depot, several churches, telegraph, attorney, and various other stores. Mike Connors ran a blacksmith and repair shop at his homestead on the south edge of Keeline.
SCHOOL
June 26, 1916, Mary Spaugh gave 8 lots for the school. The one room school became too small and around 1924 a two-room school was built. This building still stands, and in around 1950 the Jireh
Grade School building was moved to Keeline for a hot lunch room. This building was used as a community building holding elections, meeting, dances, and fun parties. School was held in Keeline until the mid 1960's.
BANK
Ad Spaugh bought the Jireh Bank and moved it to Keeline in March of 1917. The bank sat on the west side of Main Street in the corner of 1st and Main. The bank occupied the north part of the building with the south part being living quarters for the clerk. When the clerk bought a home, the south part was used for a high school for a while. The bank was active until it closed its door in June of 1927, taking all the depositors money. The building was later moved to the east end of town and used as a gas station and post office.
POST OFFICE
The Post Office for Keeline was established November 7, 1908. There was an estimated population of 200 at that time The first post office was in the Applegate store. But was moved several times including to the bank, John H Hill Co. Gas Station and Garage. Then finally to the Fairview Hotel Kitchen Building.
Other Post Offices in the area were Willow 1904-1932, Jireh 1908-943, Flat Top 1914-1954. These areas were served by the Keeline Post Office after their closing. The Keeline Post Office was moved to the Manville Post Office in 1995.
KEELINE GARAGE
The Keeline Garage was built in 1917 on the north side of 1 Street in Railroad Park. For a time, Chevrolet vehicles were sold there. On the east corner of the building there was a blacksmith shop. This building burned down in 1936.
The Applegate General Store became the Freeman Store and then Bushnell General Merchandise and Coal.
FAIRVIEW HOTEL
The Fairview Hotel was built by Ad Spaugh and Harry Card on the comer of 1 St and East Main. A smaller building to the south was used as the kitchen for the hotel. There are 7 names listed as owners through the years. The hotel was used as a community center for a time but was torn down in the spring of 1950. At least two houses were built from the lumber salvaged from the hotel.
CREAMERY
The Keeline Co-Op Creamery was built in 1917 at the corner of Main Street and Hill Ave. It was built with help from the farmers in the Co-Op. Oscar Rood ran the creamery. The Co-Op had a butter and cheese contract with the Blue Valley Creamery in Hastings, Nebraska, and the cream and milk was shipped there by rail. The creamery closed for lack of cream and milk to make it feasible to operate.
In 1931, the building was bought by the Lutheran Church. It was their church for approximately 20 years and closed its doors in 1951. James Ringer bought the building and used it as a granary. It was later sold to David Poage and moved to his place south of Keeline.
The metal building that stands in Keeline sits on the foundation and cement floor of the creamery.
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Construction on the Church was started in 1918 and it closed it doors about 1950. The Manville Alliance Church purchased the building and it was moved to Manville. It was added to the church as a fellowship hall. This building sat on the foundation to the east of the school house.
POTATO CELLAR
Another Co-Op was a potato cellar. The cellar was large and used by many farmers. It was northwest of the elevator and stock yards. Many acres of potatoes were raised until the drought of the 30's.
ELEVATOR
The grain elevator was built and owned by Tom Blair. He ran it until 1922. It was owned by several other local people and then in 1947 was moved to Fort Laramie.
KEELINE LUMBER AND CONSTRUCTION CO.
This business sold lumber, hardware supplies, and machinery. They had several carpenters to build businesses and homes in Keeline. It later became the Foster Lumber Co. The lumber yard was tom down in 1935.
The Keeline Record Newspaper was previously the Jireh Record in 1917. It was a four-page paper which expanded to six pages on special occasions The Keeline Record came to an end in 1922, and news of the area was then published by the Lusk Herald in 1923.
ALLSUP BUILDING
In 1918, James Allsup built a building that had a barbershop, pool hall, and dance hall. This building also became a hardware store, telephone co, and was once known as Keeline Grocery and Meats. This business closed in late 1951 or early 1952. This building was later moved to Douglas.
KEELINE TELEPHONE CO.
On May 2, 1917, a Co-op Telephone Co was formed. It closed in 1952, as there was no one to operate it.
BASEBALL
Keeline had a baseball team and a baseball field. Baseball was very popular and many small towns had teams and traveled to compete with each other.
FAIRS
Keeline had Dry Land Fairs exhibiting agriculture products, garden produce, food products, crafts, etc.
Keeline never had a bar or police officers.
MEMORIAL
A World War II Memorial has been placed at Keeline for area men lost in the battles. They represented the Marines, Navy, Army, and Army Air Corp. There are six men named on this memorial stone.
Frank Dupes was the first person from Keeline to enlist and the first from the county to die. He was killed in action at the Battle of Midway. He was a Marine who directed anti-aircraft fire for the Sixth Defense Battalion, Fleet Marine Force. He was buried at sea in June, 1942.
Edward Lee enlisted two months later; He was a paratrooper who jumped across enemy lines for 21 months and was wounded in the invasion of Italy and again before D Day. He died in Belgium at the Battle of the Bulge.
Edward's cousin, Orin Lee, served as staff sergeant on a bomber for two years before he was listed as missing in action over France. His body was never recovered.
Floren Schutt wrote his mother in January, 1945 to say he was OK. One month later she got the notice that her son was killed in Germany.
Robert Mundschenk survived invasions and attacks for more than a year in the Pacific. A kamikaze plane exploded over the No 1 Fire Room on July 30, 1945, eight days before the ship was to return to the US. Robert died at the age of 21.
It wasn't until the end of 1945 that the Secretary of War declared Charles Kant dead.
These men left this beautiful area never to return, but they are remembered here at this memorial till this day.

Images & Attachments
Related/Linked Records
| Record Type | Name | |
|---|---|---|
| Historical | Photos: Keeline, Wyoming History | View Record | Historical | Photos: Jireh, Wyoming History | View Record |