John H. Glover
John Glover dies
John H. Glover, retired rancher, died October 25, at St. Mary's Hospital, Scottsbluff, after a short illness. He was born Oct. 31, 1888, to Francis M. Glover and Virginia N. Braswell at Gatesville, Texas.
He married Maude H. Jones of Lusk at St. James Catholic Church, Douglas, on June 26, 1916. They were parents of a son, Morton, and two daughters, Robinia and Virginia.
Besides his wife, son and daughters, other survivors include a daughter-in-law, Mable, three grandsons, Morton Patterson, Kendall and Craig Glover; three granddaughters Mindy Patterson, Brenna and June Glover; and numerous nieces and nephews. One sister Grace Glover of Amarillo, Texas.
Glover came north to Wyoming, and as a young man worked as a cow hand in the last years of the open range in the Gillette, Douglas, and Newcastle areas. After their marriage he returned to Texas to try cotton farming. Early in 1918 they came north again to the Pine Ridge area as general manager of the Newcastle Land and Livestock Company which had obtained the first large lease of 500,000 acres on the Reservation. Because the Company sold out to the Matadore Co. of Texas, Glover started in the cow business for himself remaining on the Reservation for about 45 years before moving to Chadron in 1964.
He was a member of the South Dakota Stock Growers Association, the National Stock Growers Association and a charter-member of the Tri-State Cowboys' Association of Gordon, Neb.
Funeral service was held Oct. 28 at the Chamberlain Mortuary with Fr. Charles Laute of Porcupine, S.D., officiating. Burial was in the Greenwood Cemetery.