Kenneth G. Watson
Kenneth G. Watson
Kenneth G. Watson was born Jan. 26, 1925, at Seward, Neb., to Orlen and Sadie (Bissey) Watson. He graduated from high school at Chester, Neb., in 1942.
In September of 1943 he enlisted in the Marine Corps and served with the Fifth Marine Division seeing action in the Pacific Theater. He was in the second wave of marines to land on Iwo Jima. After VJ Day he served with the Occupation Forces in Japan. He was discharged in May 1946.
In 1949, he came to western Nebraska to work for his great uncle, Dr. C. R. Watson. He married Joyce Marlene Smedley in Scottsbluff on Aug. 15, 1954. They made their first home on Dr. Watson's North Ranch.
After leasing various Sioux County ranches for several years, including the Upper 33 ranch, he purchased the Raymond and Alice Larson ranch in 1967 where he lived until his death.
He served on various boards including the Sioux County High School Board of Regents from 1970 through 1976 and the Farmers' Home Administration Board. He was a past master of Sioux Lodge No. 277 AF&AM.
In the fall of 1970 he became a part-time brand inspector for the State of Nebraska, retiring in December 1990 after 20 years of service and having inspected 237,673 head of cattle from private treaty sales.
In 1971, he established the first Purebred Red Angus herd in the area.
He passed away Dec. 28, 1991, at Regional West Medical Center in Scottsbluff, Neb.
He is survived by his wife, Joyce; daughters, Kathryn Lea Griesse of Harrison and Karen Kay Smith of Broken Bow; grandchildren, Marlena Griesse, Laurie, Kenneth, Kyle and Rebecca Smith; sisters, Nelda Rothwell of Lincoln, Jean Hoke of Kansas, Ruth Randall of Omaha and June Goodrich of Omaha.
He was preceded in death by his parents.