Mrs. Leatha Phillips Passed Away in S. Dak.
Word of the death of Mrs. Leitha B. Phillips at her home in Chamberlain, S. Dak., was received in Lusk last Saturday by Mrs. Glen I. Willson.
Rev. George D. Jenkins, formerly of Lusk, wired the message to Mrs. Willson stating only that Mrs. Phillips had passed away there that day. Mr. Phillips died suddenly about two months ago and the word of Mrs. Phillips death coming so soon after that of her husband came as a shock to friends here.
Mr. and Mrs. Phillips were former residents of Lusk and have a large number of friends here who regret to learn of their passing.
The Lusk Herald, March 9, 1939
Mrs. Leitha B. Phillips
Leitha B. Phillips, daughter of John and Hettie Boadan, was born April 30, 1880 at Lost Nation, Iowa and passed away in Chamberlain, So. Dakota on Saturday, February 25, 1939.
She had been ill for about six weeks from cancer and complications and death came quietly at the end to relieve her of her sufferings.
In childhood she finished the grade schools of Lost Nation, Iowa, then attended and was graduated from high school at Maquoketa, Iowa; attended Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, Iowa, and Iowa State Teachers College at Cedar Rapids. She was also a graduate from the Chicago School of Chiropractic.
On August 17, 190, she was married to Henry H. Ewoldt at Bennett, Iowa. They made their home at Bennett until his death on Dec. 12, 1913. With her tow sons, Harold Boadan Ewoldt and Henry Earle Ewoldt, she returned to Chamberlain to make her home with her parents south of town.
She taught school for a time in Pukwana, and then went to Chicago to finish her course in chiropractic. Her marriage to Arthur E. Phillips occurred on July 11, 1918, and they made their home in Lusk and Douglas, Wyoming; returning to Chamberlain in 1929 due to the illness of her mother.
They built and operated the Green Gable tourist camp east of town. Ill health of Mr. Phillips resulted in his death on Dec. 13, 1938. During the last 20 years Mrs. Phillips taught school much of the time at Lusk, Wyoming, in Brule county, and was teaching in Lyman county north of Chamberlain when overtaken by her last illness.
In her comparatively short life she was called upon to meet more than the usual number of adversities, yet, in spite of it all, she remained a cheerful and active worker for community uplift. Affiliated with the M.E. church, she was a member of the Congregational-Methodist Union advisory board, belonged to the P.E.O. and held the office of conductress in the Eastern Star at the time of her death. In addition, she was a member of the Travelers Club, the Ladies Improvement Club and the Top Notch Extension Club.
All these organizations were represented at the funeral service which was held Tuesday afternoon at the McColley chapel in Chamberlain, and a fine tribute of respect was extended to a devoted member . Rev. Geo.D. Jenkins presided at the service and burial was made at Riverview cemetery,
Of her immediate family, Mrs. Phillips is survived by her two sons, Harold and Earle Ewoldt, two granddaughters, Betty June and Dorothy Ann Ewoldt, all of Deadwood; one brother, Earl T. Boaden of Los Angeles, who was unable to come; and on sister, Mrs. J.G. Schjulstad of Chamberlain.