Charles C. Colgan
Lance Creek Boy Dead of Asphyxiation
Charles Colgan, Age 4, is Gassed While Playing in Yard
Charles Colgan, 4-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Colgan, of Lance Creek oil camp was found dead by his mother at noon today, a victim of asphyxiation from a leak in a gas line while playing in the yard of the Colgan home.
It is believed that the boy while playing in the yard discovered the leak in the line by the hissing sound of escaping gas. A small hole had been dug down in the line preparatory to repairing the line, and it is supposed the youngster stuck his head down in the hole to investigate and was overcome by the fumes. He had thrust his head down into the hole up to the shoulders, thus cutting off the air.
When the mother found him he had apparently been dead for some time and all efforts to revive him were futile.
County Coroner Armstrong and County Attorney Frank A. Barrett left Lusk at 2 o'clock this afternoon to hold an inquest.
Mr. Colgan is an employee of the carbon black plant at Lance Creek. The boy is survived by his parents and an older brother.
The Lusk Herald
April 14, 1927
Funeral Services For Gas Victim At Manville
Services for Charles Colgan, 4-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Colgan of Lance Creek, who died of asphyxiation on Thursday, April 7th, were held at the home of the maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. N.G. Kearns of Manville, on Saturday, April 9th, at 2 o'clock.
Rev. H.H. Koontz of Lusk officiated and the Universal undertaking Parlor had charge of funeral arrangements.
Interment was made in the Manville cemetery.
CARD OF THANKS
We wish to extend a word of appreciation to the friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted us during our recent bereavement in the loss of our little son and grandson, and for the beautiful floral offerings.
Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Colgan.
Mr. and Mrs. N.G. Kearns and Family.