Business Details

Lumber : Lusk Lumber Company

The Lusk Herald, June 22, 1911

"A Large Stock of


Sash, Doors, Mouldings, lath, Lime, Portland Cement, Hard Wall Plaster, Paint, Etc.


R.C. Ord, Proprietor

The Lusk Herald, March 7, 1918

The J.L. Hall Lumber company is enlarging their lumber yard by the addition of lots 13 and 14 in block 7, formerly owned by A.T. Hall of Casper.

The Lusk Standard, January 17, 1919

The Lusk Lumber company is a new addition to the business life of Lusk.  Jesse Hall, who has been in the lumber business in Lusk for many years made a deal last Friday whereby a party of gentlemen, incorporating under the name of the Lusk Lumber Co. took over his business and real estate holdings connected therewith.  The local personnel of the firm is Mr. Guy Curlee, who is general superintendent.  Mr. R. J. Welton, manager for the service department, and Mr. R.J. Rymill, assistant manager.  The Lusk Lumber Co. is one of many yards owned by these gentlemen and will undoubtedly be an incentive to the business life of Lusk.  Anything tending to boosting for the betterment of Lusk will have the hearty support of the new firm.  They are experienced lumber men, believe in the future of our town and expect to be heavily interested here in a short time.  They are getting in new stock every day, twenty-one cars are on the way now and will carry everything needed in the building line.


The Lusk Standard, January 17,1919

"Doing Business at the old J.L. Hall Lumber Yard which we have purchased and where we can supply all your wants in


Anything from a Lath to a Derrick

You Are Invited to Call The Lusk Lumber Co.

Our Motto: "Quality and Service"


The Lusk Herald, January 31, 1919

The Lusk Lumber company believe there is going to be a grand building rush this spring in Lusk and are stocking up accordingly. Their manager, Mr. R. J. Wilton, has just returned from a trip to Denver and brought with him plans and specifications for several new buildings and aims to have the whole yard under sheds as soon as it is possible to do so. Next week work will commence on a warehouse 20x60 and will erect a lumber shed at once 24x60.

The Lusk Standard, May 28, 1920

Merchant listing:

"Barb Cattle Wire

$5.75 per 100--Cash Only."


The Lusk Herald, June 25, 1920

Damage to Buildings and Contents Is Estimated at About $85,000


Fire and Water Damage in Office building While Dry Sheds Are Total Loss

That Lusk now has an abundance of water for fire protection was demonstrated when the yards of the Lusk Lumber Company were discovered to be on fire last Sunday at about 3:00 a.m.

The alarm was given by one of the switch engines in the railway yards and the minutes were few before Sam Langford with his equipment and men, was on the jobs and streams were playing from every hydrant in that part of town.

The fire evidently started in the big dry sheds that extended east from the rear of the office building and had spread the entire length of the building before being discovered for it was but a few minutes after flames first appeared through the roof until the entire building collapsed.

The rear end of the office building was burned away and the large storage house purchase from the Indiana Motor Company a few months ago and used by then as a garage, which joined the dry sheds on the east, was completely destroyed.

The sash, door and lime house was badly damaged and was saved only with great difficulty while much of the contents were rendered worthless by the heat, smoke and water.

Numerous piles of lumber and several small buildings near the center of the yard were burned while others were badly damaged.

Considerable damage was sustained in the offices for in removing portions of the equipment some of the accounting machines were broken, plate glass smashed and files and records burned or water soaked.

Practically all the finish lumber in the yards was destroyed and it is perhaps a most conservative estimate to place the total loss at $85,000.00 The insurance is said to have been around $80,000.00.

The Lusk Lumber company is a branch of the Sterling Lumber and Investment company of Denver.


The Lusk Herald, July 23, 1920


Big crews of carpenters and cement workers have been employed by the Lusk Lumber Company and will be on the job early and late until the buildings recently destroyed by fire have been replaced by the most modern structures.

The new dry shed will not be a shed at all, for it will be entirely enclosed. The structure will be 64x132 with a driveway thru the center. Other buildings and warehouses will be of modern construction and when the whole program has been completed our old friend “Kope” will have one of the finest equipped lumber establishments in the state.

A new lime and cement warehouse will be built on the railroad right-of-way that will have a capacity of several carloads each of lime, stucco, and cement.

A new office building will be modern and the interior finished in light oak.

Images & Attachments

lusk lumber fire

Related/Linked Records

Record Type Name
Historical Quilt Squares - J.L.Hall Lumber Company View Record