Quilt Squares - North Western Train and Water Tower
The North Western Train and Water Tower was recreated as a quilt square by The Bag Ladies for their Historic Quilt
The Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad arrived in Lusk on July 13, 1886. In 1900, the North Western Railroad was built through Lusk and Later became to Chicago and North Western Railroad.
In July 1886, the redwood water tank was placed along the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad to supply water for the steam engines on the line. The old tank is one of six still standing in the United States. At the original site of the water tank, several hundred feet west of the present location, water was supplied by a windmill. At the present site water came from a hand-dug well and was pumped by hand and steam power. The well was later abandoned and a new well used. In 1986 the Lusk Historical Society renovated the "leaning" water tower to its' original glory.
Images & Attachments
|Railroad arrived on July 13, 1886
|Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad
|Grand Celebration Indulged In By Citizens of Lusk On Arrival of Railroad
|Redwood Water Tank