Bernice Viele was born February 9, 1902, at Homer, Neb., to John R. and Mary Jeanette Clayton and died September 24, 1994, at Chadron Community Hospital. She graduated from high school in 1918, from Wayne State College in 1921 and taught school in Fremont for two years. She married Francis D. Viele on December 25, 1923, in Sioux City, Iowa. They lived in Pender and Grand Island before moving to Harrison in 1926 and have lived in Harrison since, except for four years in Lusk. They operated their own drug store until Frank retired in 1955. He died April 6, 1967. Bernice was active in Eastern Star where she served in many chairs including Worthy Matron, in the Historical Society and as a member of the Memorial Methodist Church. She enjoyed her many friends and playing bridge.
She was a loving, wonderful wife, mother and grandmother and a kind, helpful friend to all.
She is survived by a son, Don and his wife, Jean, and their three daughters, Joyce, Gail and Diane and their husbands; by a daughter, Cherie Brown and her husband, Roy, their daughter Hallie and their son Roy and his wife; by ten great grandchildren, one brother, Edward Clayton and several cousins, nieces, and nephews. She was preceded in death by her husband, parents, two sisters and one brother.
Services were conducted by Reverend Rose Bartleson at the Memorial Methodist Church in Harrison on September 28, 1994. Mrs. Robert Todd provided special music throughout the service. Pallbearers were Morris Engebretsen, John Herren, Charles Mumby, Glen Peterson, Bud Serres, and Joe Whiteaker. Burial was in the Harrison Cemetery.
This gravestone photo was found on nebraskagravestones.org